Director, Major Gifts
UHF is seeking an experienced fundraising professional to provide strategic leadership, direction, and management of our small major gifts program, with a mandate for growth. This individual will develop and implement a short- and long-term growth plan for major gifts, including planned giving, focusing on prospective donor identification, research, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
The successful candidate will join a development staff of four in a leadership role, and will work closely with the Director of Annual Giving and Special Events on identification of prospective donors through events and annual giving. He/she will maintain his/her own portfolio of donors as well as guide and support the solicitation efforts of key organization leaders and board members.
While the focus of this position will be on individual donors, the Director of Major Gifts will also assist senior management and program staff in the identification and solicitation of foundation support by researching foundation prospects and preparing/submitting letters of inquiry and proposals.
The position reports to the Senior Vice President for Communications and Development and also works with members of the board of directors and executive leadership, including the President.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 7-10 years of nonprofit fundraising experience, with at least 4 years in major gifts or individual giving
- Experience as a senior front-line fundraiser and manager, with a proven track record of soliciting and closing gifts at the $5,000-$100,000 level
Key Skills and Traits:
- Ability to structure and implement a major gifts program, with knowledge of planned giving
- Proven team player with ability to work with senior staff and board members
- Excellent organizational ability and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and experience with Raiser’s Edge or similar fundraising database
- Knowledge of health care field and current public policy issues desired
United Hospital Fund offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience combined with generous benefits, including health, dental, voluntary vision, life, and disability insurance; a tax-deferred annuity savings plan; paid time off; a commuting subsidy; collegial environment with a good “work/life” balance.
United Hospital Fund is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that values workplace diversity.
To apply: Please e-mail your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements, with “Director, Major Gifts” in the subject line of your e-mail, to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources for family caregivers and health care providers are available at our Next Step in Care website.