Reporting to the Controller, the senior accountant provides financial information to management by researching and analyzing accounting data and preparing reports; also provides work direction and technical guidance to less experienced staff.
- Reconcile investment accounts and record performance activity from all investment managers monthly; allocate monthly performance results among unrestricted and temporarily restricted funds;
- Prepare monthly analysis of balance sheet and expense accounts as directed by the Controller, in a timely manner and with a high standard of accuracy;
- Prepare and review daily cash report monitoring UHF’s cash accounts and available balances, and process bank transfers;
- Prepare, review, and enter journal entries, and analyze and correct discrepancies to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the general ledger, and provide a consistent and continuous analysis of specified balance sheet accounts;
- Assist in preparation of annual budgets and monthly forecasts, and oversee input of budget data into accounting software;
- Conduct analysis and prepare work papers for UHF’s fiscal year-end audit;
- Assist in the preparation of UHF’s tax returns (Form 990, CHAR500, Form 990T, and CT-13);
- Work with the Controller in the preparation and analysis of grant and project reports;
- Respond promptly, courteously, and accurately to inquiries from internal and external departments;
- In the absence of business office co-workers, provide backup in accounts payable and payroll;
- Complete special projects and handle other duties as assigned by the Controller or Senior Vice President for Finance & Administration.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree plus three or more years of accounting experience, and experience with investment analysis required; not-for-profit experience preferred. Advanced skills with Microsoft Excel and spreadsheet applications and proficiency with the rest of Microsoft Office suite (Access, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook) required; experience with Financial Edge (Blackbaud) a plus. Experience in and commitment to protecting sensitive and confidential information.
Key Skills and Traits:
Ability to communicate (orally and in writing) in a professional, clear, and concise manner when dealing with employees, vendors, and company contacts. Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills; strong interpersonal and decision-making skills; a self-starter with the ability to work well independently and in groups and willingness to be assigned to help team members achieve department goals. Must be able to work within deadlines. Ability to work extended hours as needed during peak times, such as year-end audit preparation. Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, practices, tax laws, and reporting requirements essential.
United Hospital Fund offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience combined with generous benefits, including health, dental, life, and disability insurance; a tax-deferred annuity savings plan; paid time off; a commuting subsidy; collegial environment with a good “work/life” balance.
United Hospital Fund is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that values workplace diversity.
To apply: Please e-mail your resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, and noting “Senior Accountant” in the subject line of your email, to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources for family caregivers and health care providers are available at our Next Step in Care website.