Director of Communications
United Hospital Fund, whose mission is to build a more effective health care system for every New Yorker, is looking for an experienced, hands-on Director of Communications with superb editorial skills and experience in health care/policy communications to lead its active publications program and broader communications efforts. The successful candidate will be an experienced editor and project manager with strong writing skills who can help develop and execute a next-generation strategic communications program, utilizing traditional print and digital platforms, to advance understanding of complex issues among diverse audiences and build awareness of UHF as a thought leader and effective public charity. He/she will play a key role across UHF, working with program and department leaders and managing a small and experienced team. Candidates should have a strong generalist background, experience writing for both professional and lay audiences, good graphic sense, and be comfortable with website management, editorial production, story writing, social media, and more. Direct reports include UHF’s Director of Public Information, who manages media relations and public information activities, and UHF’s Managing Editor. The position reports to the Senior Vice President for Communications and Development.
- Working closely with the SVP for Communications and Development, develops an overall strategic communications plan for UHF, identifying priorities and target audiences and designing tailored approaches.
- Working with program leaders and editorial and public information staff, develops and executes communications plans and budgets to achieve program goals through policy and analytic reports, ensuring adherence to quality standards, budgets, and schedules.
- Collaborates with the director of public information, who develops and executes corporate and project-specific dissemination and promotion strategies (e-blasts, press releases, media advisories, press briefings, pitch letters, social media, and one-on-one outreach).
- In partnership with the managing editor, determines priorities for and ensures regular updates of the UHF website, with overall responsibility for content development.
- Guides UHF publications program—including white papers, issue and data briefs, toolkits, posters, and other materials—working with program staff to shape content and style, making editorial assignments, and writing/editing as needed.
- Produces the UHF annual report, three issues of the Blueprint newsletter, imaging/donor relations one-sheets, and PowerPoint presentations.
- Supports UHF’s conferences and fundraising events, assisting with pre-event editorial preparations (program materials, etc.), onsite assignments, and post-event activities and publicity.
- Collaborates with program staff, information systems and development staff, and others to maintain and develop UHF’s Raiser’s Edge relationship database.
- Stays abreast of emerging communications technologies and tools and builds and sustains collegial relationships across NYC’s health care community and with design, photography, and print vendors.
- Assumes other responsibilities as required.
- BA required (graduate degree preferred), plus 10 years of related managerial experience
- Experience in health care/policy communications and serious engagement with health and social policy issues
- A proven track record of communications management, including editorial production
- Demonstrable, significant success in designing and implementing marketing and communications initiatives
- Outstanding hands-on editorial and writing skills
- Strong understanding of digital communications and social media
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Experience providing communications support to major fundraising campaigns
- Strong networking, staff management, and budget management skills
United Hospital Fund offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience combined with generous benefits, including health, dental, voluntary vision, life, and disability insurance; a tax-deferred annuity savings plan; paid time off; a commuting subsidy; collegial environment.
Please e-mail resume, cover letter detailing specific qualifications, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org noting “Director of Communications” in the subject line.
United Hospital Fund is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that values workplace diversity.
Resources for family caregivers and health care providers are available at our Next Step in Care website.